Showing Collections: 1 - 50 of 1951
Abstract Files relating to the "Alabama Claims" handled by this Boston attorney concerning damage inflicted by the Confederate commerce raider C.S.S. Shenandoah during the final months of the Civil War.
Dates: circa 1873-1883
Abstract Notes for a class lecture on Abercrombie, president of the University of Alabama. Includes information on the construction of University buildings during his tenure, as well as his conflicts with former acting president and Latin professor William S. Wyman.
Dates: not dated
Overview This collection consists Abernathy family correspondence discussing the outbreak of the Civil War and the return of Macon, a University of Alabama student, to his hometown of Jacksonville, Alabama, to enlist in a local company. Also contains an 1878 obituary of Macon's father, Major Miles W. Abernathy.
Dates: 1861 - 1878
Abstract Two galleys with corrections and one type-written manuscript of Abernethy's study, The Formative Period in Alabama, subsequently published as part of the historical series of the Alabama Department of Archives and History. It is a social and political history and originated as Abernethy's doctoral thesis at Harvard University.
Dates: circa 1965
Abstract Diaries of travels from New Hampshire to Alabama; to Havana, Cuba; and to the midwestern United States. The majority of entries were written in Gainesville, Alabama, where this New Hampshire native settled.
Dates: 1839 - 1848
Overview The Account of the Battle of Cartagena contains a three-page handwritten description, in French, of a siege by American and British troops against the Spanish-held city of Cartagena, present-day Colombia. The document contains details similar to those found in other accounts of a 1741 siege against the city during a conflict known as the War of Jenkins's Ear (1739-1748).
Dates: circa 1741
Collection — Box: SC0038, Folder: SC0038.2741.01
Overview Contains correspondence and production reports of this Birmingham, Alabama, cast iron company.
Overview U.S.S. Tuscaloosa commemorative covers, including "First Day in Commission" and "Shakedown Cruise" covers, several miscellaneous first day of issue stamped envelopes and other commemorative covers postmarked from the U.S.S. Tuscaloosa, and ten first day of issue stamps, most of which relate to the State of Alabama in some way
Overview Handbill for the production of "Always... Patsy Cline"
Dates: 1997 July 7
Abstract Materials on the Jewish synagogue in West Blocton, Alabama; a copy of his paper, "The 'Ah Goodies Ah Chem' Jewish Congregation of West Blocton, Alabama, 1905-1913," and 6 photos of the Blocton Home Band.
Dates: 1892 - 1982
Abstract This collection consists principally of correspondence among members of the Adams Family, the majority of which concerns the Confederate service of a son, who wrote many letters detailing army life and conditions. It also contains papers related to Homer and John Adams, prisoners of war who died before returning home, and an Adams Family history by Irving Adams, dated December 18, 1948.
Dates: 1849 - 1926; Majority of material found within 1860 - 1865
Abstract The correspondence of a Birmingham, Alabama, mining engineer, businessman, poet, and public servant. The collection also includes a small group of papers of Adams' son, John R. Adams, an attorney and realtor.
Dates: 1889 - 1943; Majority of material found within 1911 - 1936
Abstract Correspondence of this Birmingham, Alabama, minister of the A.M.E. Zion Church, principally concerning the struggle to remain solvent during the Great Depression. Also includes budget sheets, receipts, reports, and legal documents for this and other A.M.E churches throughout the South.
Dates: 1909 - 1952
Abstract This collection includes documents related to the army service of this York, Alabama, native; an essay; a biographical sketch; and three miscellaneous letters.
Dates: 1891- circa 1919
Abstract Bill of sale and warrantee for a slave named Zeke, sold by W. S. Adkins of Lowndes County, Alabama, for $1600. The buyer's name is illegible.
Dates: 1860 February 16
Dates: 1861 - 1977
Overview Essays and research on air pollution and air pollution legislation from 1961 through 1971 from various authors.
Abstract A photocopy of a memorandum to the commander to the 117th Tactical Reconnaissance Wing of the Alabama National Guard, authorizing transport of non-military personnel, including Governor George C. Wallace, from Montgomery to Tuscaloosa and back on April 30, 1963. Includes signatures of passengers on a waiver form.
Dates: 1963 April 30
Overview This collection includes a committee report; a list of donors to the Crimson Pride membership drive, 1986-1987; histories of the national alumni association and local chapters; information on the rededication of Denny Chimes in 1987; newspaper clippings about coaches Ray Perkins and Paul "Bear" Bryant; and other information on the history and alumni of the University of Alabama.
Dates: 1888 - 1987
Overview Records of this early Alabama society, including correspondence, reports, newsletters, and photographs.
Dates: 1920-1922, 1958; Majority of material found within 1920 - 1922
Overview Alabama Art Education Association scrapbook, 1972-1979
Abstract Contains 18 bulletins and exhibition announcements of this state-wide artists' organization
Dates: 1940 - 1943
Overview Records for the association including papers from the annual meeting and a directory
Abstract A collection containing meeting minutes, correspondence, the organization's constitution and by-laws, photographs, and other materials.
Dates: 1959 - 1987
Overview Variety of records of the Alabama Association of Historians from 1993-2009
Overview Alabama Aurora, 1913, and two issues from 1914-1915, with pictures of the UA campus as well as a school calendar for the year.
Overview Correspondence, manuscripts, signed book pages, publication announcements, catalogs, and newspaper clippings related to the careers of several Alabama authors as well as the Alabama Writers Conclave and the Birmingham Branch of the National League of American Pen Women.
Overview The July 26, 1923 issue of "The Alabama Baptist"
Dates: 1923 July 26
Scope and Contents Photograph and negative of the Alabama Cadet Corps "at Ease"
Dates: after 1831
Overview Photographs, tintypes, and miscellaneous school papers, as well as . This collection also includes two Edison phonograph cylinders: a Gold Moulde Records (which is broken) and a Blue Amberol Record.
Dates: between 1857 and 1923
Overview A collection of court records from the Alabama Circuit Court's 17th District, including minutes and trial, appearance, and subpoena dockets, 1815-1835.
Overview Primarily records of suits for debt, arranged chronologically, by circuit court and county court, including judge's dockets.
Overview Papers of this group supporting constitutional reform
Overview Historical documents relating to the Geneva Award claims
Overview Correspondence, annual reports and audits, maps, and other material related to coal and iron production in Alabama.
Overview Conference records
Overview Photocopy of an open letter from the General Counsel for the Alabama Conservative Party denouncing a symposium of "conservative" steps being presented to the Young Republican National Federation Executive Committee, on February 5, 1966.
Overview Letters, poll lists, and ephemera relating to the Democratic Party of Alabama.
Overview Minutes and roll of Alabama's delegation, who were "accredited to the Baltimore and Richmond Democratic convention" in Richmond, Virginia, in 1860.
Overview Minutes of the Alabama Democratic Party Executive Committee meetings from 1892-1894.
Abstract Record book containing letters, records of members' disputes, meeting minutes, and other materials
Overview Several articles and flyers about Alabama elections from the early 20th century.
Overview Items relating to Alabama places, politics and segregation.
Overview Three scrapbooks from the Alabama Federation of Women's Clubs), Fifth District
Overview Scrapbook from the Alabama Federation of Women's Clubs), First District
Overview Two scrapbooks from the Alabama Federation of Women's Clubs), Fourth District
Overview Scrapbook from the Alabama Federation of Women's Clubs, Second District
Overview Three scrapbooks from the Alabama Federation of Women's Clubs), Seventh District
Overview Records of this LGBTQ newsletter published in Birmingham, Alabama.
Overview The business records of a firm with extensive mine holdings in Alabama, including minutes of stockholders meetings, 1917-1953, minutes of the board of directors, 1927-1953, and miscellaneous material.
Dates: 1917 - 1953
- Alabama 472
- Daily Life and Family 275
- Correspondence 224
- Letters (correspondence) 199
- University of Alabama 199
- Photographs 179
- Government, Law and Politics 168
- War and Military 153
- Community and Place 143
- Business and Labor 138
- Education 122
- Scrapbooks 109
- Civil War 92
- Clippings (information artifacts) 91
- Tuscaloosa (Ala.) 86
- Diaries 85
- Women 85
- Southern Life and Culture 80
- Religion and Spirituality 69
- Ledgers (account books) 66
- Business records 65
- Students 64
- World War, 1939-1945 63
- Organizations 61
- Legal documents 59
- Letters 58
- Alabama -- Politics and government 55
- Genealogies 53
- Agriculture 51
- Minutes 50
- Literature and Authors 49
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 48
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.) 46
- Manuscripts for publication 46
- Personal correspondence 45
- Financial records 44
- African Americans 43
- University of Alabama -- Faculty/Staff 42
- Health, Medicine and Welfare 41
- Birmingham (Ala.) 39
- Alabama -- History -- 1819-1950 38
- Technology and Industry 38
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives, Confederate 38
- Alabama -- Industries 37
- Church records 35
- Family 35
- Receipts (financial records) 35
- Speeches 35
- Sports, Recreation and Leisure 35
- Travel and Tourism 35
- Alabama -- Authors 34
- Biography 34
- Civil Rights and Human Rights 34
- Education -- Alabama 32
- Research notes 32
- Mobile (Ala.) 31
- Papers (document genre) 31
- World War, 1914-1918 31
- Business 30
- Love and Friendship 30
- University of Alabama -- Alumni and alumnae. 29
- Teachers 28
- Women -- Societies and clubs 28
- World War I 28
- Alabama -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 27
- Poems 27
- Account books 26
- Family histories 26
- Notes 26
- Reports 26
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives 26
- Montgomery (Ala.) 25
- Women -- Alabama 24
- Artifacts 23
- Education, Higher 23
- Family papers 23
- Music and Performing Arts 23
- Jefferson County (Ala.) 22
- Records and correspondence 22
- Architecture and Landscape 21
- Church records and registers -- Alabama 21
- Essays 21
- Military records 21
- Politicians -- Alabama 21
- Coal mines and mining 20
- Commercial correspondence 20
- Deeds 20
- Maps 20
- Marengo County (Ala.) 20
- Politics and government 20
- Letter books 19
- Popular culture 19
- Commonplace books 18
- Church membership 17
- Diplomas 17
- Genealogy 17
- Huntsville (Ala.) 17
- Banks and banking 16
- Governors -- Alabama 16
- Invitations 16 ∧ less
- Williams, A. S., III 148
- University of Alabama 97
- Hall, Wade 81
- Cather & Brown Books 56
- M. Benjamin Katz, Fine Books & Manuscripts 28
- Between the Covers Rare Books 14
- Wallace, George C. (George Corley) 11
- Lee, Harper 10
- Kennedy, Frederick 9
- Tuscaloosa Public LIbrary 9
- Alabama (Screw sloop) 8
- Ragland, Wylheme H. 8
- Apfelbaum, Charles 7
- Cather, James Patrick 7
- University of Alabama. Corps of Cadets 7
- Alabama Historical Association 6
- Bartleby's Books 6
- Brannon, Peter A. (Peter Alexander) 6
- Davis, Jefferson 6
- Hughes Books 6
- Tuskegee Institute 6
- Tutwiler, Julia 6
- University of Alabama. Army ROTC 6
- Gorgas, Josiah 5
- Howard, Ronald 5
- Lucy, Autherine, 1930- 5
- Summersell, Charles Grayson 5
- University of Alabama. Board of Trustees 5
- Abraham Lincoln Book Shop, Inc. 4
- Alabama. Army National Guard 4
- Chapman, Reuben 4
- Confederate States of America. Army 4
- Episcopal Church 4
- Hoole, William Stanley 4
- Howard, Elizabeth 4
- Jemison, Robert, Jr. 4
- Ku Klux Klan (1915-) 4
- Lamont, Joyce 4
- Manly, Basil 4
- Robinson, Jimmy 4
- Rose, Frank Anthony 4
- Strode, Hudson 4
- Tennessee Coal, Iron, and Railroad Company 4
- United Daughters of the Confederacy 4
- University of Alabama. Department of Music 4
- University of Alabama. Office of Archaeological Research 4
- Van de Graaff, Adrian Sebastian 4
- Alabama Central Female College (Tuscaloosa, Ala) 3
- Alabama Crimson Tide (Football team) 3
- Alabama. Circuit Court (17th Circuit) 3
- Bessemer Coal, Iron, and Land Company 3
- Blackburn, John L. 3
- Bryce, Peter 3
- Clay, Clement Comer 3
- Denny, George Hutcheson 3
- Dixon, Frank M. (Frank Murray) 3
- Gallalee, John M. 3
- Garland, Landon C. (Landon Cabell) 3
- Hargrove, Andrew Coleman 3
- Hearst, Joseph Z. 3
- Jackson, Mildred L. 3
- Johnston, Joseph Forney 3
- Jones, Douglas E. 3
- Jones, Thomas Goode 3
- Jones, Vivian Malone 3
- Lincoln, Abraham 3
- McCorvey, Thomas Chalmers 3
- Nicholson, Libba 3
- Pickens, Israel 3
- Semmes, Raphael, 1809-1877 3
- Shelby Iron Company 3
- Shorter, John Gill 3
- Smith, Eugene Allen 3
- Tuskaloosa Female College 3
- United Confederate Veterans 3
- United Methodist Church (U.S.) 3
- United States. Army 3
- United States. General Land Office 3
- University of Alabama. National Alumni Association 3
- University of Alabama. School of Law 3
- Washington, Booker T. 3
- Wheeler, Joseph 3
- Wyman, William Stokes 3
- Adams, Charles Edward 2
- Alabama Female Institute (Tuscaloosa, Ala) 2
- Alabama Fuel and Iron Company 2
- Alabama Power Company 2
- Alabama Women's Hall of Fame 2
- Allen and Jemison Hardware Company (Tuscaloosa, Ala.) 2
- Anderson, James Austin 2
- Armes, Edmund 2
- Armes, Ethel 2
- Arnoldy, Gray Humphries 2
- Atlanta and West Point Rail Road Company 2
- Bagby, Arthur P. (Arthur Pendleton) 2
- Banks, Athelyne Celest 2
- Bass, Sterling, Sr. 2
- Battle, Junius K. 2
- Bessemer Land and Improvement Company 2
- Bibb, William Wyatt 2 ∧ less