Skip to main content

Confederate States Army, Ninth Georgia Cavalry Regiment (Cobb's Legion) vouchers

 Collection
Identifier: MSS-0565

Scope and Contents

Vouchers issued to soldiers of Cobb's Legion (Ninth Georgia Cavalry Regiment) by the Confederate States Army. The vouchers are for pay, hiring horses, and purchasing materials for the unit.

Dates

  • 1862

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations. Due to the nature of certain archival formats, including digital and audio-visual materials, access to certain materials may require additional advance notice.

Biographical / Historical

Cobb's Legion (also known as the Georgia Legion) was a Confederate States Army military unit raised in Georgia by Thomas Reade Rootes Cobb during the summer of 1861. A "legion" consisted of a single integrated command, with individual components from the infantry, cavalry, and artillery. When it was originally raised, the Georgia Legion comprised seven infantry companies, four cavalry companies, and a single battery. The concept of a multiple-branch unit was fine in theory, but never was a practical application for Civil War armies and, early in the war, the individual elements were assigned to other organizations.

The infantry battalion was assigned to Howell Cobb's brigade in Lafayette McLaws's Division of James Longstreet's Corps of the Army of Northern Virginia. The infantry battalion surrendered at Appomattox Court House on April 9, 1865.

The cavalry battalion was expanded first to eight companies, then later to eleven companies before finally being decreased to ten companies. It was redesignated as the 9th Georgia Cavalry, but continued to be called Cobb's Legion. It surrendered at Greensboro, North Carolina, on April 26, 1865.

The artillery battery, known as the Troup Artillery (named for former governor George M. Troup), was from Athens, Georgia. After the Legion was reorganized, the Troup Artillery was assigned to the Artillery Battalion of Longstreet's Corps. The Troup Artillery disbanded April 9, 1865.

Extent

0.2 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Overview

Vouchers issued to soldiers of the Ninth Georgia Cavalry Regiment by the Confederate States Army for pay, etc.

Provenance

unknown

General

To provide faster access to our materials, this finding aid was published without formal and final review. Email us at archives@ua.edu if you find mistakes or have suggestions to make this finding aid more useful for your research.

Processed by

S. Braden, 2009; updated by Martha Bace, 2013
Title
Guide to the Confederate States Army, Ninth Georgia Cavalry Regiment (Cobb's Legion) vouchers
Status
Coll Lvl Complete
Date
January 2009
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the The University of Alabama Libraries Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Box 870266
Tuscaloosa AL 35487-0266
205.348.0500