Skip to main content

Andrews Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church South minute books

 Collection
Identifier: MSS-0079

Scope and Contents

This collection consists of a photocopy of a church record book, which contains a register of pastors (1913-1987), marriages (1889-1936), infant baptisms (1924-1988), and members.

Dates

  • 1913-1990

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations. Due to the nature of certain archival formats, including digital and audio-visual materials, access to certain materials may require additional advance notice.

Biographical / Historical

Andrews Chapel, also known as the McIntosh Log Church, is a historic Methodist church building in McIntosh, Alabama. It is one of only a few remaining log churches in the state. It had its beginning in 1860 when John C. Rush and his wife donated land for the church to the Methodist McIntosh community. The church was built before the year ended. It was named for James Osgood Andrew, a bishop in the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The squared-log building features square notched corners and a wood shingle roof. A new church building was built in 1952 adjacent to the chapel. The chapel was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on 20 November 1974.

Source: Wikipedia contributors. "Andrews Chapel (McIntosh, Alabama)." Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, 14 Jul. 2012. Web. 5 Nov. 2012.

Extent

0.2 Linear Feet (34 items)

Language of Materials

English

Overview

This collection consists of a photocopy of a church record book, which contains a register of pastors (1913-1987), marriages (1889-1936), infant baptisms (1924-1988), and members.

Provenance

Gift of Richard Owens, 199?
Title
Guide to the Andrews Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church South minute books
Status
Coll Lvl Complete
Date
May 2009
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the The University of Alabama Libraries Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Box 870266
Tuscaloosa AL 35487-0266
205.348.0500